We’re all in a rush.
Not enough time, even for ourselves, much less for others.
Still, your chances to socialize with team members should be seen as an opportunity for face-to-face communication.
You may not want to attend the event. It may rest outside your comfort zone. Politically, however, it’s usually smart to go anyway.
Make the most of it. Project yourself!
Consider these dos and don’ts.
- Don’t use the opportunity to hit up your boss for anything. This is not the time or the place.
- Don’t get drunk. Don’t be rude to anyone.
- Do have fun, yet be professional. Your bosses will judge you. A major faux pas is usually remembered to your detriment.
- A request for an RSVP means “accept” or “decline”. If you accept, turn up. No-shows or last-minute cancellations look bad on you.
- Don’t attend if you’re going to sit there with a long face that says you don’t want to be there. You will lose more points than by not attending.